Small changes add up! There are many smaller, more manageable changes we can make to work on living a healthy lifestyle. Often, making small changes consistently over time is easier to sustain than making major alterations. Consider picking one or two healthy changes to focus on this week. We have included ideas and resources below.
1. Fill half of your plate with fruits and veggies. Take smaller portions of other parts of the meal.
2. Drink water instead of juice, pop/soda, or other sugary drinks.
3. Eat a piece of fruit for dessert.
1. Dance to a favorite song before watching TV or doing a sedentary activity.
2. Pick a word and use our Alphabet Workout handout to add in extra physical activity.
3. Be active in the kitchen! Do some bicep curls with cans of soup.
1. Listen to music. If we are feeling stressed or anxious, listening to calming music may help.
2. Call or video chat with a friend or family member.
3. Turn off the news! Watch a funny TV show or movie.
1. Go to bed at the same time each night.
2. Avoid using your phone or tablet in bed.
3. Pick a relaxing activity (such as reading, praying, or stretching) to do before going to bed.
Additional tips can be found in this handout: Ways to Get Good Sleep . More resources for individuals with Down syndrome can be found in the Sleep section of our Resource Library.